- Enhance trans-boundary collaboration in quality, methodology and sampling parameters for regional research goals
- Facilitate exchange of high quality monitoring data among partners
- Fill data gaps and establish baselines for ambient (background) habitat and biotic conditions throughout the Salish Sea
- Document time-trends in background marine environmental conditions
- Complement the BC coast-wide Pollution Tracker Project (PTP) at the Vancouver Aquarium
The program will rely upon existing monitoring programs, and aims to; 1) harmonize sampling and laboratory methods and quality control so they are inter-comparable, 2) negotiate the inclusion of a common suite of sampling tools, 3) expand geographic coverage of monitoring to allow temporal analysis of ecosystem functioning on a regional scale, 4) facilitate open data exchange between participants, 5) provide high quality data for archiving and dissemination by appropriate agencies, 6) facilitate and support specific research initiatives of interest to collaborators, and ultimately 7) provide regular, high level analysis and reporting of the data collected to participants.